Each year, The Humane Society of the United States (The HSUS) celebrates National Animal Shelter/Rescue Appreciation Week during the first full week of November, as a way to honor animal shelters/rescues and the dedicated people who work to protect animals.
Animal rescues are vital resources for their communities. A rescue is a safe haven for animals, and a great place to adopt a new family pet. An estimated 6–8 million homeless animals seek refuge each year. While 63 percent of American households include pets, fewer than 20 percent of them were adopted from shelters or rescues. National Animal Shelter Appreciation Week is a perfect opportunity for you, your family, and your community to become acquainted with their local rescue and to help homeless pets.
Here are just a few ways to get involved:
• Adopt your next pet from a shelter!
• Become a fan of your local shelter on Facebook.
• Volunteer—helping animals at the shelter can be an incredibly rewarding experience.
• Be a responsible pet owner. Keep your pet at home as a member of your family for a lifetime. Spay/neuter your pets, make sure they’re wearing collars and ID tags (to get them home if they become lost), don’t let your pets roam loose.
• Donate supplies. We are in need of donations. We are collecting donations at the following locations:
Sam & Danni's Pet Resort
Viking Land - Harley Davidson
Agent: Carrie Bauman
Available Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Besides celebrating the valuable service that rescues provide to our nation’s communities through National Animal Shelter Appreciation Week, The HSUS supports shelters and animal rescue groups by providing training programs, hosting the nation’s largest trade and educational show for shelter professionals, and advising shelters on best practices. The HSUS has also partnered with Maddie’s Fund and the Ad Council to launch the Shelter Pet Project, the nation’s largest promotion of shelter animal adoption.